Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Piney River Falls Hike

Oh man, is fall here in Colorado!  And it's gorgeous!  Last year I just enjoyed the golden hues from my car or my door, but yesterday I got to get out in the middle of the changing leaves.  It was marvelous.  My hiking friends and I ventured to Piney River Falls.  The falls themselves were somewhat of a disappointment - more of a picturesque little stream with some big rocks around it.  But the views along the way were simply stunning.  Gregg is hoping for snow as soon as possible - but I'm praying for a lovely, long fall so I can enjoy a few more hikes like this.

Date hiked: 10 September 2012
Start time: 11:00 am (10:56 if you want to be exact)
Arrival at the "falls": ~12:30 pm
Back to the car: 2:20 pm
Total mileage: 5.6 miles (or so says the book)
High point: 9,920 feet

Photo time!
Pretty much the entire hike to the falls had this grand backdrop.

Heather and I were in this general area last week and the leaves
were just barely starting to turn.  Crazy what can change
in just a few days.

The clouds were quite lovely, too.

Piney Lake.



Always aspens.


Meandering Piney River

The "falls"


"Girl Pose"





There's a campground / ranch / something-or-other on the far
end of Piney Lake.

I just had to turn around for one last view from the end of the trail.

Indeed.

Not just yellow aspens around here - we've got orange and red, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment