Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Breaking News: Gregg Takes a Real Job

I'm not sure how many of you know this but I have been debating leaving the self employment gig for a while now in search of a job. In fact, I started poking around and exploring industries last year. Why? Well, I outlined this on my blog the other day, but the basic gist is I wanted:
  • To be involved in something bigger.
  • To be on a team again (preferably a fairly small one)
  • Have a steady paycheck
  • A little more fulfillment with what I'd be working on
So, a couple weeks ago, after I got back from the NSAA (National Ski Area Assoc.) National Convention, I started applying for jobs. I applied for some just to see where I'd stand with them, but others I was serious about. One was with Snowbird, but one of those was with the USU CPD (Center for Persons with Disabilities) as a web and graphic designer.

Yesterday I had an interview with them at 11:00 am that lasted just about an hour. I learned early on that while a designer is what they wanted, they also needed someone that could do a few other things like write code, design instruction, and even give them a hand with marketing. The more we talked, the more I felt like they liked me. At one point, they even started to sell me on the CPD and how great it was to work there. Usually a good sign :) Anyhow, as the interview progressed I realized i had checked off every one of those items on my list plus many more unwritten ones. I'd be working on a small team, wearing many hats, helping make the web accessible for those with disabilities. Pretty awesome.

About 15 minutes after the interview ended I got a call, offering me the job. It will start at 30 hours a week (which is perfect for me as I still have a few things to do this summer like get Second Nature ready for another season and ride a few thousand miles on my bike).

So, there's my big news. Kinda fun. I'll start next week.

4 comments:

  1. Sooo excited for/proud of you! What a fulfilling position! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEA! Congratulations again - we are so excited for you and proud of you! We can't wait to learn more about what you will be doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Sounds like a great fit and a good opportunity for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Gregg! Not many people get such a great job so soon after graduation! (Naturally, you would, though.) Way to go!

    ReplyDelete