Saturday, May 26, 2018

Flowers from Showers

You know what they say about April showers.  Well, I'm here to tell you that it's true.  Except we even had flowers to enjoy in April, as well, so I guess those March showers were working their magic, as well.  Whether it was April or May, the flower this spring were spectacular.  And I took a lot of pictures of them.  And I decided to put them all in one single post.  (But actually that isn't entirely true even.  I have flowers sprinkled through other posts, too.  So I guess I like flowers. So what?)  Yes, this is a post that is entirely pictures of flowers.  If that doesn't interest you, feel free to move right along.  :)

April:

4.14.18
(Field pennycress from our backyard.
(don't mind her solemn face - she was just wanting
the picture of the flowers to text to Heather
for help with identifying what it was, a rather
common occurrence ))

4.25.18
(he brought me a flower!)

4.26.18
(after my session I just had to take a walk around
the grounds to soak in the smells and sights of
a beautiful spring!)

4.26.18

4.26.18
(a free and gorgeous tulip festival, right there
on the temple grounds)

4.26.18

4.26.18

4.26.18

4.26.18

4.26.18

4.27.18
(not a great picture, but I had to take one to
document that these frittilaria are blooming
(nearly anyway) on the same day they always do)

4.27.18
(as are our plum blossoms in the backyard - every year I think
we're weeks away from blossoms in Eden and then I look out
on April 27th and see blossoms on our plum tree (usually
because I've seen a memory on facebook pop up to tell me that
it bloomed on April 27th the year before and the year before
that, almost like you can set your calendar by them!))

4.28.18
(tulip harvest - I'd leave them outside to enjoy
but the grass they grow in always gets so high
by the time they bloom that you can't even
see them, so I've found that they're easier to
see and love if I pick them and bring them inside
in a vase)

4.28.18
(this year they were all yellow and I don't know
why - last year we had mostly red, from the same
 tulip "garden" - a mystery!)

4.28.18
(there is sunshine on my kitchen table!)

4.28.18
(makes my soul happy to see all this cheery yellow!)

4.30.18
(dandelions can be beautiful, too)


May:

5.7.18
(library day was entirely lovely)

5.7.18
(I think this is a plum - it looks like the one
in our back yard, but much prettier.)

5.7.18
(so many shades of pink and white in this picture from our
walk around "the triangle")

5.7.18
(the Hearthside is always spectacular in spring)

5.7.18

5.7.18
(I love blossoms, but I absolutely adore buds)

5.16.18
(we got home from our trip to find our apple
trees were perfectly in bloom - it was
such a happy thing to find)

5.16.18

5.16.18
(trying to capture those lovely pale pink buds)

5.16.18

5.16.18

5.16.18
(and the lilacs!  oh the lilacs were amazing!)

5.16.18
(this is the bush in the front of the house)

5.16.18
(and the one by the hammock was stunning as
well)

5.16.18
(I wish you could smell these beauties!)

5.16.18
(my view of the blossom trees in the from
Gregg's new spot for his single chair)

5.16.18
(looking back toward our house and another
blossoming tree from the same perch in the
ski lift seat)

5.16.18
(barns and blossoms in the backyard)

5.16.18
(those dandelions have the longest stems I've
ever seen!)

5.16.18
(white lilacs on our walk home from the park)

5.17.18
(we even have strawberry blossoms!)

5.17.18
(yes, I took a picture of dandelions.  but I'll tell
you why: Callie requested that we draw flowers
for mom and cal time, and I wanted something
to be my model, and I actually think dandelions
are quite nice to look at, despite their bad rap)

5.17.18
(which reminds me of this poem I read in a library book - it
was my favorite one in the collection)

5.17.18
(and here are the flower drawings we made - I love how she
labeled what she drew (all her idea, of course))

5.17.18
(my attempts.  I'm no artist, and don't pretend
to be, but this was kind of a fun little exercise
in creativity (and I added labels since Cal
requested them, and the one I didn't label
is most likely a flowering quince, according
to Heather, but I didn't know that till after I
took a picture of my doodles))

5.17.18
(as seen on our hike this evening on the new
trail in north fork park - Heather tells me they
are Hooker's balsamroot, which was good for
me to learn since I knew they weren't arrow
leaf balsamroot because the leaves weren't
the right shape and they weren't mules ears
since the leaves weren't soft and fuzzy)

5.17.18
(forget-me-nots from the trail)

5.18.18
(Sam and I walked to pay the water bill and I just
had to admire these lilac buds along the bike path.
what is it with me and buds?!)

5.19.18
(more balsamroot on another north fork trail
(the one that goes up to Ben Lomond peak))

5.19.18
(ooooh!  Look at these!  I have no idea what they
are because I never texted Heather about them)

5.19.18
(penstemon, I think?)

5.19.18

5.19.18

5.19.18
(the wildflowers weren't overwhelming in quantity
on this hike, but they were so varied and so pretty!)

5.19.18
(always a cheery site)

5.19.18
(not a flower, but super strange leaves that I just
had to take a pic of.  Heather, if you are reading
this, can you assist in the id?)

5.19.18
(a blossom tree along the trail!)

5.19.18
(bluebells - so lovely)

5.19.18
(dandelions in seed mode are probably my favorite - especially
these perfectly spherical ones)

5.19.18
(remember what I said above about tall dandelions?)

5.19.18
(yeah - they're Sam size)

5.22.18
(Thermopsis genus, commonly called false
lupine or golden banner (thanks, Heatha!) found
on our North Arm Trailhead hike/walk one
evening)

5.25.18
(too cool for dandelions - whenever he picks
them now, he tells me to put them behind my
ear like I did the first time)

So there you have it: from mid-April to mid-May, a comprehensive photo story of the flowers we saw and thought particularly lovely.  Stay tuned for next time, when I return to my regularly scheduled posts full of kid pics.  ;)

3 comments:

  1. I always love to read about your love of nature and see how you pass that love on to your family and all you know❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos! And I am impressed that you know the names of all of them too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those dandelions were huge! Breeders are always trying to get longer stems for cut flowers...maybe they need to take a look at your dandelions!
    As for the funny leaf plant, I'm not sure. At first I thought it was another kind of balsam root, but the flower buds I could see did not resemble anything from the asteraceae family. Do you happen to have a photo of it flowering?
    And buds. I totally get you. There's something so fascinating and beautiful about them.

    ReplyDelete