Saturday, December 1, 2018

Christmas Song-a-Day Countdown {2018 Edition}


It's that time of year again!  Are you ready for my 9th annual (say wha?) musical countdown to Christmas?  I sure am!  Just because I've quit Facebook recently (best thing ever, I swear!) doesn't mean it's not happening.  Oh, it's totally happening!  Let's get to it:

December 1st: Our first song up this year is a classic Christmas Time's a Comin' by Bill Anderson from the oldie but goodie Reader's Digest Christmas records of my childhood.  This one is just so sing-along-able for me.  (But I'll spare you that part.)  Enjoy!  And bring on Christmas!

December 2nd: Today's song was a new music video put out by the Tabernacle Choir last year.  Warning!  It made me cry!  But in one of those really good, make you think about the important stuff, kind of cries.  The song is beautiful and peaceful and is just what Christmas is all about, I think.  Happy Sabbath!

December 3rd: Yes, I am a three-year-old at heart: one of my favorite Christmas songs is, in fact, Jingle Bells.  Haha.  Perry Como's voice is always golden at Christmas time, too.  So double win today!

December 4th: Here's a different, peppy version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, but I picked it for today because we've been learning We Three Kings in primary for our ward Christmas party tonight.  When Callie heard this playing this morning she said, "Hey!  This is the song we're going to sing!  Is it like a new song that is just getting spread everywhere?"  Haha.  New for her, anyway.

December 5th: While we didn't listen to his Christmas album growing up (I didn't even realize he had one till last year when I found it at the library), we did listen to another album of John Denver's (whichever one Heather had on tape).  I love Country Roads Take Me Home the best of all (I think we learned the words to that one in school for a spring program maybe?  or maybe I just listened to the tape a lot).  But I also love his country twang on the Christmas classics, like Silver Bells.

December 6th: I love my old Jon Schmidt Christmas CDs - they're like my most favorite ever in the history of the world.  But I also love the new Piano Guys stuff that comes out on YouTube.  This is one I found last year and thought it was delightful.  The mashup of Ode to Joy plus Joy the the World is so fun!  I just can't help but smile when I watch and listen to this one.

December 7th: I included the original Feliz Navidad on my very first countdown.  That one always reminds me of Nate, every single time I hear it.  I don't know what he thinks of Michael Buble's version, but I think it's pretty snazzy and fun.  It's got a good beat.  I especially like the Spanish duet part (even though I can't sing along to it because I don't know the words - only "celebremos juntos navidad" (I think?) which is my favorite part because of the synchopation).

December 8th: A classic Christmas song from a classic Christmas voice (and a classic Christmas movie).  Just classic.

December 9th: Hark the Herald Angels Sing is simply a joy to listen to and to sing, but I haven't included any version of it in my countdown since 2011!  It's time to remedy that, for sure!  And this version, an old one from the Tabernacle Choir is just the ticket.  I really love the joyful and melodic brass parts at the beginning and in the middle, and then, of course, the big finish just gives me chills.

December 10th: I had a different song chosen for today (don't worry, you'll still hear that one eventually, I did some shuffling of my list) but yesterday in church we had a musical number that I just really liked.  The words have stuck in my head, and I thought I'd share it today instead of Frosty.

December 11th: Normally, I have my Countdown List Spreadsheet pretty much locked in for the season before December even hits.  That what I thought I had done this year, too.  But then, life happens and it reminds me of other songs and I start shuffling and it turns out that a few songs are being bumped this year in place of others.  Today is one of those days.  Last night for our Family Home Evening activity, we watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas and ate gingersnaps.  It was pretty much the best.  And it was especially fun to watch Sam's face light up in a huge grin and see him put his hands over his mouth as he giggled at the Grinch's antics.  I've seen and loved this movie so many times, but for him, it was all brand new (he didn't remember watching it last year or before) and it was absolutely delightful to watch him watching it.  So, I decided to switch today's song out for You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch.  I love the original Thurl Ravenscroft version the most, but since I had already used that one way back in 2011, I decided to see if anyone had an updated version.  This one by Jordan Smith is pretty jazzy and fun.  I think my favorite line is "You're a nasty, wasty skunk. Your heart is full of unwashed socks, your soul is full of gunk."  Haha.  But the thirty nine and a half foot pole line is brilliant, too.  What line is your favorite to describe the Grinch?

December 12th: I have long loved The Little Drummer Boy.  I can't really say why.  Probably the fun beat?  And who has a better beat than Voice Male?  This one makes me smile.  And it apparently makes Cal and Sam giggle (which they are doing currently while we listen) because they think it's saying "bum bum bum bum".  Oh, geez.  When does the potty humor phase stop?

December 13th: I had a different version of this song planned for today (I'll tell you who: Amy Grant, and it's wonderful) but I realized that I have never posted The Carpenters' version, which I also love with all my heart.  So another switcheroo was made (story of my countdown this year, apparently!) and here we are.  I could listen to Karen's voice all day.  Maybe I will.  :)

December 14th: I love Raffi and I love his Christmas album that I discovered four years ago at the library.  It's just festive and fun and full of Christmas cheer. Enjoy Frosty!

December 15th:  Sorry I'm late!  I wasn't near my computer all day, and then when I got home I was so tired I went to bed at 8:30 and forgot to update my countdown!  But here's The Holly and the Ivy (probably like you've never heard it before!) from The Lower Lights (I love them!).

December 16th: I remember singing Do You Hear What I Hear in our Adams Elementary School Caroling-in-the-Lunchroom days.  When I heard this version last year on the Tabernacle Choir's Hallelujah! CD that I checked out from the library, I fell in love with it.  I feel like Laura Osnes has the perfect voice and face for singing Christmas songs.  She just sounds and looks so angelic.

December 17th: A couple of months ago my friend Erin mentioned that her favorite Christmas song was by Dave Matthews (called "Christmas Song").  I don't recall why we were talking about Christmas songs and it wasn't even Thanksgiving yet, but apparently we were, and I immediately looked it up and then added to my Christmas Song Countdown List of Possibilities.  And then it made the final cut because I couldn't stop thinking about it.  It's definitely not traditional.  But I love the message.  And I guess it sort of surprised me that a popular rock star guy would be singing about Jesus's life on tour and that everyone seems to really love it.  I think that's cool.  Love, love, love was all around.

December 18th: Ah, can you beat Nat King Cole caroling, caroling?  Definitely not!

December 19th: I love Noel.  And I love Josh's duet version with Faith Hill (sorry Gregg - you can plug your ears for this one).  And I am always a sucker for a gospel choir, too.  Boom!  What a combo.

December 20th: Today's song takes me right back to the lunchroom/auditorium of Adams Elementary in Logan, sitting on my little chair and listening to the orchestra students plucking and bowing to Troika and Mrs. McAllister or Mrs. Law explaining that a troika is a Russian sleigh and asking us to listen to hear the sleigh going over the snow.  When I heard this arrangement pop up on the Mormon Channel Christmas Music station this month, I knew I had to include it in my countdown.  Can't you just imagine that you're there on the snow, gliding along with bells jingling?  I love it! (Update: Sorry I had the wrong link for this song!  If you checked it early in the day and it was the same as yesterday, then check again for the real thing!)

December 21st: I don't remember listening to Andy Williams specifically (I mean, we didn't have an Andy Williams album and I don't think he was on our Reader's Digest records or the Tupperware cassette tape) but his voice is definitely familiar and Christmasy to me.  I remember chatting with my friend Marcy in the lab back in the day and Andy Williams was her favorite Christmas voice.  This one is a classic, for sure!

December 22nd: The Christmas Song just sounds like Christmas.  We're getting close!

December 23rd: I think Stars Were Gleaming might be my favorite Christmas song from the Primary Children's Songbook.  And it's surprisingly hard to find versions other than the recording from lds.org of the primary children singing it (which is fine, but I thought there would be lots of remakes of it - my favorite one is Jon Schmidt's, that I've already posted in my countdown, way back in 2012) but I found this one this year thanks to that Mormon Channel Christmas station, and I quite like it.

December 24th: Here's another song I didn't originally plan to play for this day, but I added it after a texting conversation with my sisters about The Beach Boys Christmas Album.  After listening to a few songs, I just knew I couldn't keep these guys off the list this year.  You better watch out!

December 25th: Merry Christmas! (Sorry I'm a day late - I was too tired last night to get on to post and I forgot in the morning amid all the excitement of Christmas.)  Angels We Have Heard on High for Christmas Day.  :)


*********************************************************************************
If you just can't wait for more, you could check out my previous countdowns here:  (But I make no guarantees that the old links will still be working.)
2017
2016
2015
2014
2013 (this is for December 1st - I posted each day separately back then)
2012 (this is for December 1st - I posted each day separately back then)
2011 (this is for December 1st - I posted each day separately back then)
2010 (I did a countdown on facebook, but didn't post it on the ol' blog my first year)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that Tabernacle Choir video. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's 2018's playlist.

    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmabX4B6oCdMjJmYKOsR2A4RONDMN44X7

    ReplyDelete