Sunday, March 21, 2021

A Marvelous Birthday

I had such a marvelous birthday, perfectly planned and executed by my cute little fam. Gregg gathered the kids for a planning/shopping sesh earlier in the month, where they came up with a series of surprises and gifts to celebrate my 36th. And then they kept it all secret until the big day! (I was so impressed!)  

Finally it was March 11th and the fun could begin! Cal and Gregg made me breakfast (while Sam read me stories) of pancakes, eggs, hash browns and bacon. And I opened my presents after we ate. They got me shoo goo (to fix my hiking-turned-snow boots that have been losing a sole on the left foot but are otherwise in great condition), picture frames (and command strips to hang them) (to fill with more adventure postcards to go on our wall), a new card game (Monopoly Bid), and some adorable pictures and posters and poems.

All my gifts (on the piano, which I considered
an early birthday present), including some super cozy reading
socks from Heather Wihongi, M&Ms and "lunch money" from
Paul and Kim, and a bag of Red Rose Pancake Flour
 and a piano book from my parents. Such fun and thoughtful things!

Cal made this darling poster.

After breakfast, the kids and I tried out my new game (I won!) and we got started on school. But I knew something was up when Cal mentioned that we had our next surprise at 11:00. When Gregg came out of his office then, and was gathering his keys and wallet, I knew I better get dressed for the next birthday secret. He told me he had taken the rest of the day off work! We headed to Maddox for lunch in the drive-in (YUM!) and a walk (my fave!) along a new-to-us stretch of the Centennial Trail in Ogden from Fort Buenaventura to 21st street.

Birthday lunch winning!



We got to see some trains from the trail and Sam
was a happy hiker!


Cool old bridge supports we walked next to.

After our walk, we stopped  rested at home and visited with my grandparents and prepared the cake and strawberries for later, and then Gregg and the kids all worked on dinner (while I played the piano and read). They concocted the best make-your-own nacho bar - my favorite! Then we played Monopoly Bid again (this time Gregg played and won), ate strawberry shortcake (Mel's recipe, of course), and watched the Aggies (for the win!). 





All through the day I had texts and calls from friends and family that made me smile. It was a completely A+ perfect day! It does feel a little odd to be this age (closer to 40 than 30!! what?!), but I'm feelin' the love and I'm ready - bring on 36!

(Just one more funny moment from the day: when I was tucking Cal in bed, I mentioned that one of the best presents she gave me was her extra good attitude and cooperation all day. She said, "yeah, but by the end I was just worn out!" haha!)

1 comment:

  1. Fun to see the whole day in one post! Such fun surprises!

    ReplyDelete