Thursday, August 18, 2011

Meant to Be

Sometimes things happen in a way that make you step back and say, "Wow." This is one of those times. I'll have to let Kim give her perspective another time, but for now, here's my take on the last year and a half:

June 2010 - On a night drive to Salt Lake I debate in my head what I want to do with my career. I decide that I want a job, and ski resort marketing is the direction I head.

June 24, 2010 - I write the first post for SlopeFillers.

October, 2010 - SlopeFillers grows faster than any site I've ever started even though I am spending less than an hour a day writing content and promoting it.

December, 2010 - SlopeFillers starts getting national attention. I'm asked to lead marketing call for POWDR Corp.

April 2011 - I start figuring out where I would want to work. The dream job? Marketing company that serves resorts (rather than resort), out of state, in web marketing centered role.

May 2011 - Invited to do blog coverage of NSAA National Convention in Carlsbad, CA. Leave directly from my last class of my masters and arrive just in time for start. At conference I meet the president of a fast growing resort marketing company.

Friday, June 24, 2011 - President of that same resort marketing company calls me and gives basic details about wanting me to move to Vail and work for him.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 - He writes up details in semi-formal offer to hire me as Communications Director allowing me to run SlopeFillers, their blog and social media, and work with 2-3 resort marketing clients. The dream job.

Monday, July 4, 2011 - We accept the offer. Lots of unknowns lie ahead. Still working full time, we have limited time to shop for a new car we'll need, sell our contract, finish our projects at work, and tie up other loose ends.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 - With a tentative date picked to move on Oct 1, a full-day retreat at my job (they don't know about my decision yet) results in choosing a target date for my main project to be completed by the end of September, allowing me to finish that project before I leave (my biggest concern).

Friday, July 8, 2011 - Formal offer includes higher salary than we hoped as well as an offer to buy SlopeFillers for double what I expected.

Friday, July 22, 2011 - We put our apartment up on KSL. Within hours we've scheduled four showings. The third buys our contract.

Friday, August 12, 2011 - After deciding to buy a new car, we buy one for $2,000 less than anywhere we had seen in Utah and in better condition with less miles. The owner lives less than a mile from our home.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - We post an ad to sell our Saturn at 9:45pm. Within a half hour three people have emailed and one has called. Exactly 12 hours after we posted it, the first person comes back from a test drive and buys it on the spot.

This list includes about half of what has happened. It's amazing, thing after thing after thing keeps falling into place better and faster than we ever could have expected or hoped for. Just at the NSAA Convention alone it was nuts. I decide to try taking some sample pictures of one of the sessions before it starts. I sit down, and within seconds the Marketing Director of Bristol Mountain (on the finger lakes) introduces herself. Unfortunately, I leave my lens cap on the chair after we talk. On my way back to get it after the session, I bump into the Marketing Director of Snowbasin who recognized me from a picture on the blog. And on and on.

Every time I think about it all I'm blown away. We still have a lot to figure out, but the way this is going, I think it's meant to be.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. I love it when life pulls together like this. It really helps you have confidence when making a big change. And with all the uncertainty you've had in the past with where to live and what direction to go in life, I'm sure you appreciate it! Very happy and excited for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What many tender mercies / miracles have happened to bring this to pass; but even more wonderful is that you recognized them as such! We are so excited for this new adventure in your lives!! We are so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete