Thursday, March 26, 2020

Birthday to Remember


My mom texted me the evening of my birthday saying, "Wow! What a birthday you've had!  I don't think I've heard as many surprising announcements ever in one day! I hope you enjoyed your 20 surprises too!"  What were some of those announcements?  General conference would be held virtually (no one gathering at the conference center or at stake centers and meeting houses where COVID-19 is active), virtual MTC for new missionaries in Provo and Preston, England, no more large gatherings of church members in Asia, Europe and US (like stake conferences), the NBA cancelled the Jazz game that evening and the whole NBA season because of Rudy Gobert's positive COVID-19 test result, and the NCAA tournament would be played with no audience present.  (Even reading and remembering these now, two weeks later, is kind of funny since things changed (and are changing) so quickly - i.e. all church gatherings canceled, all of NCAA tournament canceled, etc.)  

So yes, it was a birthday to remember.  Full of surprises big and small.  My favorite surprises, though, were those 20 that my mom alluded to in her text.  Callie and Sam had been busy for weeks making and wrapping all kinds of surprises for my birthday.  I posted a picture last month of the lineup of gifts on the couch and Callie saying she thought "20 is probably enough".  But apparently 20 was not enough for her. She kept on going right up until my birthday, and while I didn't count, I can guess that there were at least enough presents for every year I was celebrating!  There were lots of cards and pictures and coupon books and knickknacks/candy/money from their own personal stashes and creations made with plenty of tape and paper and drinking straws.  It was so sweet and so thoughtful and so fun to open so many things! 

We had to move the pile to the floor so we could sit on the couch!

I had to open them in shifts since there were so many.  A few before
breakfast, a few more before we left for school, a few more before bed.

The wrapping pile after we were done.

Surprises!  That chair is all the pictures and notes
and cards they made me (and wrapped up individually).

Here's the birthday door with all the art and cards and
notes after I sorted through the pile above.

Callie had school as usual and Sam and I had music makers so we did the normal Wednesday stuff for the morning.  Then, Gregg took off half a day and we all picked Callie up from her early out at 1:30 and headed to Ogden.  Cal had an eye appointment that just happened to be scheduled on my birthday (she thought that was so funny) to see what can be done about her trouble seeing the board from the back of the classroom (spoiler alert: glasses!).  While Cal and I were at the optometrist, Sam and Gregg found a pond nearby and enjoyed the wildlife.




Gregg packed Sam's bike for the adventure and kept asking
if he wanted to ride around on the trail, but Sam was just happy
to be watching the ducks and the deer and the dogs.

Big chair.  Little girl.

I was really impressed with this doctor.  Two
thumbs up from me for how he handled Cal and
her eyeballs.

First pair that she liked and we almost got, but then
decided they might be a bit too big.

Final selection.  Still look a bit on the big side,
but that's what we went with.

When the appointment and glasses choosing was complete, the boys picked us up and we all went hiking on the WSU discovery loop trail above the stadium.  It was cloudy but not cold and we had a lovely time hiking on dry dirt!







After our hike we made a trip to Walmart.  This was a long awaited and promised visit for Sam to finally get to spend some of his money (he had been asking every time we went to any store and I finally had to tell him "when it's your half birthday you can buy something").  He chose some construction trucks (of course!).  We also were there to find some new galoshes and shoes for the kids (and check out the church shoe selection for me - that was my bday present from PandK).  Success on all accounts! (Minus the church shoes for me, but I guess I don't really need them for a while yet anyway, so I'm not too bummed!)  

Then it was time for dinner!  Paul and Kim have been raving about this little hole-in-the-wall chinese fish 'n' chips place in Roy, Lee's Fish and Rice.  It's dirt cheap and delicious and I thought that sounded like a fun birthday dinner.  They met us there to show us the ropes of the place.  We loved it!  We'll definitely be going back (once the quarantine is lifted - I hope I hope I hope they will still be in business!).  We came home and had leftover German chocolate cake (from the Blanchard birthday dinner a few days before) and ice cream for dessert!



You can get a plate of fish, shrimp, scallops and rice or coleslaw
or fries for barely more than $4!!  It's insane!

So yes, while it was a bit on the odd scale as far as world-wide-announcements-on-birthdays go, overall it was a marvelous day spent with my faves.  One I'll certainly remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment