Sunday, March 1, 2020

Photos from Phones - February 2020 Round Up

Maybe I should change the name of this monthly photo round up to the monthly book round up?  haha! Books definitely seem to be the majority of the pics on this post this month.  Books and skiing.  I guess that sums up February.

2.1.20
(I had heard so much hype about this one, I was
nervous to actually read it.  But when I found it on
the popular shelf at the library, I snagged it instead of
waiting for 13 more patrons to read it before me in
the holds line (it had been in the upper 20s when I first
put it on hold!).  It was well written and I kind of liked
how she didn't tell too much, she let the reader put pieces
together without overtelling the story.  At times I hated
every character and the choices they made and then
at other points I loved them all and could totally see what
made them do what they did.  Good read overall and one I
want to talk about with someone if/when you read it!)

2.1.20
(We spent the day with Elwood cousins at Grandma's
house while Gregg went skiing with his friend Suls
at the Beav.  And I got to hold babies all day and my
arms were dead but my heart was happy.)

2.2.20
(my mom whipped up some of my grandma's magic cookie bars
for Zoe's baby blessing lunch and I just had to snap a pic of these
beloved recipes in my grandma's handwriting)

2.3.20
(the school district delayed the start of school for 2 hours this morning
 because of the big storm that was going to cause traffic issues
during commute time.  It was a whopper! (But I guess in Ogden it
was much more necessary - somehow the valley got skipped on this
one))

2.3.20
(I started this one at my mom's house on Saturday
because I knew if I didn't finish there I could finish
at home since I have it on my own shelf.  I also
had a collection of essays by the author about reading
and writing children's books but I figured I should
actually read one by her first.  I know!  I've never
read this book (that I can remember) till now!
But I really enjoyed it (and so did Gregg, who
picked it up at my parents' house and finished it on
Sunday morning, too).  Good story, well told.
Enough said.)

2.3.20
(I LOVED this book!  It's yet another cookbook (I'm on a kick!)
and I skimmed the recipes (ssssh, don't tell!) but the short little bios
about the grandmas were delightful and the photography was just
amazing and rich and colorful.  I thought this was so well done and
a complete joy to read.)

2.5.20
(I set up a little salad bar for lunch and since Sam
helped get it all ready he wanted to try it too.  Look
at that plate!  He ate it all!  (Eventually!)  #proudmom
but also look at that hair!  It is about time for a hair cut!)

2.5.20
(checking in on baby Cooper - he does have eyes!)

2.6.20
(Sam, Gregg and I got up to Nordic in a blizzard
one Thursday morning - the snow was so thick and
heavy that Sam and I only did one run from the top
(Gregg lapped us a couple times) before we were soaked
and ditched the hills for dry clothes at home)

2.6.20
(one of my favorite valentine's day books. (I'm a
bit of a scrooge this year and none of the others I've
checked out have really done anything for me.  But
I still love this one.))

2.8.20
(It's ballet time again - Kim treated
us to a lovely day out with lunch first
at Charlie Chows and then Giselle at
the Capitol Theatre in Salt Lake)

2.8.20
(So fun to spend the day with these lovelies!)

2.8.20
(first time for all of us seeing Giselle - it was
beautiful!)

2.8.20
(lots and lots of engines on the way home from Salt Lake -
I snapped this for Sam, obvs)

2.8.20
(here's the collection of essays and speeches that
prompted me to read Tuck a few days ago.  I like
her voice; she's got a lot of funny little asides in her
writing that made me smile.  And of course I love
the subject she's talking about.)

2.9.20
(out for a Sunday afternoon walk - don't let Cal's light clothing
distract you into thinking it was warm!  It wasn't!  But she's
tougher or crazier than the rest of us!)

2.10.20
(our return stack this week is heavy on the nonfiction.  Definitley
Sam's favorite section of the library.)

2.11.20
(the shaggy and scraggly dos were just getting too out of hand
for these two - so we had a hair cut date at Great Clips - ah!
nothing like a fresh cut!)

2.11.20
(Gregg's mom had been wanting to come
see the kids ski so we told her to meet us
on this random Tuesday afternoon.  Turns
out the snow was suuuper sketchy icy
so we did one run (very carefully) and then
called it quits.  At least she got a group shot
for us!)

2.12.20
(here they are: the 2020 Newbery and Caldecott winnters!  I really
loved New Kid and think it's great that a graphic novel won the
Newbery for the first time ever!  I think The Undefeated also
won a Newbery honor, so lots of medals around here.)

2.12.20
(the aftermath of the kids playing "Home Depot"
this week)

2.12.20
(he ran a half mile home from school!)

2.12.20
(we took a quick walk/bike ride after dinner this evening, and it
was pretty darn chilly, but just look at those clouds!)

2.12.20
(and look again at a slightly different version of the first pic -
and don't worry! there are more below, too!)

2.12.20
(bright clouds and blue skies just makes me happy)

2.12.20
(last one!)

2.13.20
(after reading about Louisa May Alcott's family's
love of Pilgrim's Progress, I thought I'd like to read
it.  But then I learned it was written in the 1600s and
was over 400 pages long and I just didn't feel like
tackling something that intense.  In my searching I
found this version, though, written by my new fave,
Gary Schmidt!  It was very accessible and quick to
read and I really enjoyed it!)

2.15.20
(she's been dying to work on her newest kiwi crate (I wasn't going
to keep going with the subscription, but when I went to cancel they
offered me such a great deal I decided to keep it one more month.
They really are awesome - I just am a cheapskate haha))

2.15.20
(it's a mechanical sweeper with bonus water color
art whales to decorate the sides)

2.15.20

bonus video!

2.25.20


2.16.20
(sunday dinner done right - homemade french bread and
meatball orzo soup)

2.16.20
(I didn't mean to pick two books that have islands as settings to read
one after another, but here we are.  Both by authors that I love. Both
heavy at times. Both end with such hope. Both incredibly beautiful!)

2.17.20
(Cal blew through these beginner Humphrey tales and she is
ready to fill up her library bag with more at our next trip.)

2.17.20
(This is such a good, good story of love and
generosity and friendship across distances.  And
it's based on a true story (I love when that happens)!)

2.17.20
(Our president's Day reads. (Dancing Hands isn't directly about
Lincoln, but he does make an appearance in the book (and the title)
so I'm counting it.)  Both are really well done picture book biographies
(one of my favorite genres!).)

2.17.20
(a few more that were in the Caldecott guessing lists.  So you know
the art is nice.  My fave was Water, most definitely.)

2.17.20
(New-to-me Sandra Boynton!  yes, we still check out and giggle
at her board books on the regular.)

2.17.20
(Sam is flying through these babies!  I am super loving
that they now come with a whole set bound in one
little book rather than loose in a box (where they are
easier to lose).)

2.17.20
(after a quick trip to the library on President's Day afternoon
we took a drive up to Causey to see it in winter since we've never
really been up there during the white season)

2.17.20
(still lovely even when it's frozen over)

2.17.20
(our audiobook of choice on the drive
back home - very fitting for the day!)

2.19.20
(Sam begged to ride his bike to get Cal after school so I caved
and he was thrilled. also note: meltage on our property at least!)

2.19.20
(we got there a bit early so we cruised around the plowed parking
lot for a few minutes)

2.19.20
(sooooo happy to have the blue skies back after
having some really cloudy overcast days for a while!)

2.19.20
(after school we headed up to Nordic for a couple
of runs, back home for an early, quick, leftover
dinner, and then up to Logan for the last Aggie
game for us of the season - whew!)

2.19.20
(it was so great to see our fave Sam Merrill playing live one last
time before he graduates - and the Ags pulled out the W over
Wyoming, which was just sweet)

2.19.20
(a must stop photo op)

2.19.20
(for Callie, too)

2.20.20
(on Thursday morning I texted Heather and asked if we could
come down to play/visit - it was a very last minute decision, which
actually worked well since the last two times I was planning to go
(well in advance) got canceled due to Gracie having the flue (twice)
and Cal throwing up (once) - we met up with them at their library
for story time and what a story time it was!  They have the most
exuberant library lady I have ever seen!)

2.20.20
(making steering wheels in the craft room after
story time)

2.20.20
(an afternoon bike ride (for these two) slash
walk (for Heatha and me) slash stroller ride
(for Coop) was just what we all needed)

2.22.20
(THE best day on the snow yet - we took 6 laps on the triple
lift together as a fam till the kids' legs were toast then Gregg
and I each took another one (me) or two (him) on Apollo
solo while everyone else soaked up the sun on the picnic tables
because it was just too good to quit!)

2.22.20
(bluebird day!)

2.22.20
(we decided it was time to do a refresh on the ol' walls in the
living room, but before we took everything down, I had to snap
a pic of all of Cal's and Sam's artwork - they're really getting good!)

2.22.20

2.22.20

2.22.20

2.22.20

2.22.20

2.22.20
(we took a post-dinner walk/bike ride to the park and got to
check out the YM/YW's snow sculptures that they made
earlier during their Eden Winter Games activity - pretty impressive
stuff!)

2.23.20
(then on Sunday we took an afternoon walk/bike ride to the park
again so Cal could check them out (she didn't come along with us
yesterday) - it was another gorgeous blue-sky, warm afternoon
and a bunch of folks from the ward came by while we were there
to see the masterpieces, so we had a good chat with some neighbors
as well as filled up our Vitamin D tanks)

2.24.20
(leftover lunch of champions! this is Mel's stuffed sweet potatoes
 (I used leftover cafe rio pork instead of BBQ chicken, but either
way it was Amaze-balls! and you should totally try it))

2.24.20
(I mean seriously, it's photo worthy with all those colors!  And it
tastes even better than it looks!)

2.25.20
(first time skiing at Powder! They had a great 2for1 locals deal
so we pounced on it for some fun laps of "night" skiing on
Tuesday afternoon)

2.25.20

2.25.20
(first time on a quad chair!)

2.25.20
(we took a break for dinner on the picnic tables, but should have
done it in the car because it was darn cold up there (15 degrees when
we left a couple runs later)!)

2.25.20
(eating sandwiches with mittens is a tricky skill!)

2.27.20
(Sam and I needed something to do on this random
Thursday, so after getting gas and groceries, we
made a visit to the train museum - and had the place
to ourselves!)

2.27.20
(this boy loves the train table)

2.27.20
(gotta get down on eye level)

2.27.20
(look how long that train is!)

2.27.20
(one of the displays by the model trains is of groceries that
may have been available during the time of the trains - I had
to laugh at this box for processed cheese - same shape these days!)

2.27.20
(interesting tidbit about how Wall Ave got its name)

2.27.20
(it was a lovely blue-sky day)

2.27.20
(getting a pic by the elephant ears steam enginge)

2.27.20
(catchy motto)

2.27.20
(our first time walking all the way around the
station on the back side to get up close and
personal with the snowblower engine)

2.27.20

2.27.20
(this one reminds us of Harvey the crane engine from Sam's fave
Thomas books)

2.27.20
(Wow!  This book was eye opening and heart
breaking and just really good!  After watching the
Bill Gates mini series thing on Netflix, the first thing
I said was, "I want to learn more about Melinda!"
So when I heard that she had this new book and then
I heard from a couple people that it was worth reading,
I knew I had to check it out.  I liked the personal stories
from her life to give a glimpse of where she is coming from,
and then of course the personal stories that she shares from
women all over the world just blew me away!  I sometimes
get frustrated with "feminism" stuff, but I can definitely see
myself agreeing with Melinda's version of empowerment
and connection.  I love what she's doing!)

2.28.20
(we had to get out and enjoy the "warmth" and blue sky with
friends and ended up on the frozen lake)

2.28.20
(Sam and Charlie checking out the little inlet stream)

2.28.20

2.28.20
(Sam rode his bike for Callie pickup)

2.29.20
(no blue sky and still tons of snow in our backyard)

2.29.20
(but the disc golf basket has a new home in the outside world
and the jump Gregg and the kids made for skiing has melted enough
to make a great tee box for practicing.)

2.29.20
(a brand new YA novel that takes place in 1989
Romania!  Full of history, folklore, fairy tales and
suspense, I really enjoyed this story.)

2.29.20
(Cal and Sam have been busy busy busy making and wrapping
presents for my birthday, which is still 12 days away!  Cal said to
me today, "I think 20 presents is enough, don't you?")


Every other round up here (whew!):
2020: Jan
2019: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sep | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2018: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2017: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2016: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2015: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2014: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar Feb | Jan
2013: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June

1 comment: