Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Christmas Song-a-Day Countdown {2020 Edition}

It's the most wonderful time of the year! (And what a year it has been, amIright?) We're in my 11th year of picking Christmas songs each day of December leading to Christmas! 11!! It's one of my favorite little traditions and luckily there is no shortage of Christmas music to choose from (I'm still sticking with my goal of never repeating an artist in a year and never repeating a specific arrangement in all my years . . . it's nerdy over here, I tell you!). Don't forget to check back here for updates every day. Now, let's get this musical countdown going, shall we? 

December 1st: Sleigh Ride by the Carpenters - I chose this one because a) I LOVE the Carpenters and b) I haven't picked Sleigh Ride for a good long while for my countdown and it's a fun one. Put those two reasons together and you get this lovely rendition! Enjoy! And Merry Christmas!

December 2nd: Today's pick comes from Callie. When I was making my list, she asked if she could make a request and this was it: I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas! I asked her where she knew this song from and she recalled a Christmas shopping date she went on with Gregg last year where they ate dinner at Dylan's and this song was playing in the restaurant. She's been singing it ever since. ;)

December 3rd: Since Callie picked one, I thought I'd ask Sam what he would choose, too. He said he wanted Santa Claus is Comin' to Town. I played him a few versions and he settled on this one by James Taylor. (Let it be noted he was NOT a fan of the Jackson 5 rendition, though I must say I do kind of like that one when I'm feeling extra peppy.)

December 4th: I wasn't originally planning to include this song, but after listening to Sam's rendition of Santa Claus is Comin' to Town on my James Taylor Christmas album, the next song came on and it was Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. While I was listening to the lyrics really hit me that this could be the theme song of Christmas 2020. "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow." "Next year all our troubles will be out of sight/miles away." "Faithful friends . . . will be near to us once more." "Someday soon we all will be together." See what I mean? Here's the original (since I've already shared James Taylor's version in years past) sung by Judy Garland. Here's to safe muddling for all of us until next year!

December 5th: Whoops! I almost forgot to post today's song! I remember learning to play The Little Drummer boy on the piano in third or fourth grade and then teaching my friend Gabby how to play it, too. (I may have shared that memory before on another version of this song.) But here's another memory that I don't think I have ever shared: The Herald Journal had a regular columnist back in the day who hated The Little Drummer Boy and she wrote about her hatred of the song each year in the paper. I always thought her reaction was a bit much, though I guess I can see her point about the rum pa pum pums getting a little annoying. (I think they're endearing, personally.) However, there are plenty of Christmas songs you won't ever see on my yearly countdown; The Twelve Days of Christmas, Breath of Heaven and Christmas Shoes top that (relatively short) list!

December 6th: Today's Tabernacle Choir selection is Hark the Herald Angels Sing. This is a big, beautiful rendition that just fills my soul with joy. I love the organ and full orchestra and, of course, the choir. (The kids, however, still sing the words "Hark the Pterodactyl Sings" and think it's the funniest thing ever.)

December 7th: Frosty the Snowman! We watched this movie over and over and over (and over) as kids, so hearing this Jimmy Durante version again brought back allll the memories. We've got the movie on hold at the library to pick up today, so I'm excited to rewatch with my kids!

December 8th: The only other time I included All I Want for Christmas in my countdown was back in 2012 when my nephew Kage was losing his two front teeth around Christmastime. Crazy to think he's nearly 16 now and it's my daughter that's losing her teeth! Callie lost her second front top tooth this weekend and it just seemed like the perfect time to sing! (Although because her first one is halfway in already, it's probably more appropriate for her to sing All I Want For Christmas is My One and a Half Front Teeth ;)  This year I found this great version by Nat King Cole. It's so fun! (BONUS: Cal's Grandpa Blanchard sent her an email this morning (perfect timing!!) with the link to this even funnier Elmo + Michael Buble version, that I couldn't resist including. Think of it as a two-for-one Christmas special!)

December 9th: Let it Snow! (Pretty please?) I love this rendition from my mom's old Reader's Digest records. These songs sound like Christmas to me!

December 10th: This one takes me back to my high school (or early college?) days when Heather and I were on a Cherie Call kick. I even went to a concert she gave at the institute building back in the day. I still like her folksy sound and I always love The First Noel.

December 11th: Who can resist a song by Deano on a cold December day?

December 12th: I always love a good Manneheim Steamroller Christmas carol. (I also realized today, with this song, that I am missing my CD copy of one of their Christmas albums . . . it must be hiding somewhere with my Michael Buble CD. Such a mystery!)

December 13th: This song just sounds Christmasy and cheery to me. The Tabernacle Choir has been singing it for a few years now (I thought it was a recent phenomenon but this video is from 2013 so it's been in the rotation for a while!) and it just makes me smile when I hear it. God bless you!

December 14th: Last night we had a delightful extended family Christmas party (on Zoom, of course!) with all the Thornleys. It brought back so many wonderful memories of our Nativity Nights growing up. We didn't sing Christmas hymns or primary songs or act out the story of the first Christmas last night like we used to, but it was still so nice to be "together" again. This song, Once in Royal David's City, always reminds me of the Thornleys, though I know we never jazzed it up quite like The Lower Lights do.

December 15th: Still thinking about the Thornleys today with this number: I Wonder When He Comes Again. It's not typically thought of as a Christmas song, but we always sang it around Christmas at our Nativity Night. It was a song my grandpa loved, so when I hear or sing it, I think of him. And I feel like many of us, more than once this year, have thought or asked the same question, hoping that His second coming will be soon!

December 16th: I just love Steve and Eydie's sound - it gives me That Holiday Feeling. (See what I did there?) How many songs are there that have this same sort of story line? It's like the Hallmark movie of song lyrics. ;)

December 17th: It seems like I keep hearing about Dolly Parton everywhere lately. I am almost finished reading a book about her, I just listened to a podcast episode with her as the guest, and she's in the news for donating a million dollars to Covid vaccine research! I figured it would be fitting to include her in my countdown. While none of her Christmas songs have made it into my list in the past,  I definitely have memories of listening to her on that old Tupperware cassette tape and I've always been something of a fan of her music. I've now become a big fan of her as a person. I think she's quite the woman!

December 18th: I remember liking Neil Diamond forever - I have memories of riding in my grandparents' car through Yellowstone listening to him sing from the tape player. But I also remember in high school that it wasn't "cool" with some of my really-into-music friends to admit such things as listening and enjoying Neil Diamond (or the Beach Boys, for that matter). So I kind of didn't admit it then. But I'm not in high school anymore! (Hallelujah!) Hey everyone! I like Neil Diamond! (He) Make(s) it Feel Like Christmas!

December 19th: Every time Sam hears any version of Deck the Halls he perks up. I think Julie Andrews does it better than anyone. Her falalalalas are like bells! The horns in this rendition are pretty fun, too. Enjoy this one!

December 20th: Joy to the World! Indeed! This rendition is so joyful!  Happy Sabbath to all.

December 21st: Remember how a couple days ago I admitted to liking Neil Diamond (and the Beach Boys) even though it wasn't "cool" in high school. Well, here's my Beach Boy selection for the year: The Man With All the Toys. Apparently, in some circles, Christmas songs by the Beach Boys are on the hate list, similar to Little Drummer Boy, but I still love them, even if they're totally weird like this one.

December 22nd: John Denver's Country Roads was running through my head our whole drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway this fall, so I thought it would be fun to include him in the countdown, this time with Away in a Manger.

December 23rd: Must Be Santa - a throwback to Adams Elementary caroling-in-the-lunchroom days. Good memories! And last year, Callie got to sing it in her own Valley Elementary sing-along-in-the-lunchroom!

December 24th: I love this peaceful piano Silent Night by Jon Schmidt. (The whole album is perfection!) Merry Christmas Eve!

December 25th: It's here! Merry Christmas! Here's my grand finale . . . Angels From the Realms of Glory with a bunch of awesome musicians. I remember seeing this a few years ago and knew I had to add it to my list. (I can't believe it's been since 2014, though! Sheesh! Time flies!) My favorite is when the angel choir appears. Chills! Enjoy! Thanks for playing along with me yet again.

*****************************************************

If you just can't wait for more, you could check out my previous countdowns here:  (I make no guarantees that the old links will still be working, but new this year, my amazing friend Sarah has made youtube playlists of all the countdowns! Isn't she incredible?! You can find them all here, under created playlists. Thanks, Sarah!!)
2019
2018
2017
2016
2015
2014
2013 (this is for December 1st - I posted each day separately back then)
2012 (this is for December 1st - I posted each day separately back then)
2011 (this is for December 1st - I posted each day separately back then)
2010 (I did a countdown on facebook, but didn't post it on the ol' blog my first year, but thanks to Sarah, she's resurrected it on youtube!)


18 comments:

  1. I’ve been looking forward to this!😊❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! About the hippopotamus and Santa Claus coming to town

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why am I not following this blog...?! I need to remedy the situation urgently.

    I came looking for you so I could hear your musical picks for the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah! Welcome! I'm so glad to have you here! I'm so over facebook and instagram these days, but since I spend little time over there, I have more time to keep this bad boy updated. So please come back anytime!

      Delete
  4. I may have already asked you this before, but do you have a YouTube channel with these playlists?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any playlists on youtube. Just here. But that is a good idea! (Let me know if you make one for me ;)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. So far...

      https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmabX4B6oCdOv0_SYqD9p9rpUjKr9C-_1

      Delete
    2. You are amazing, my friend!! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  6. I love to listen to the song of the day during lunch breakπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you share this every year. It makes me smile! You always have such a good variety of songs, I get tired of the same old 10 songs every year. I like to branch out and find the lesser known but still equally good songs and you have a knack for finding those. Thank you for your hard work. It is much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying it all these years later! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Dec 14song was a favorite of your g gma Thornley. She sang it in England as a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can’t get Dolly’s hyper link to work. It goes to lower lights Once in Royal David’s City

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up. Should be fixed now.

      Delete