Friday, October 31, 2014

This is Halloween {Part 2}

Costume time!  I have mostly fond memories of dressing up for Halloween (every year except the year I was a bunch of grapes!) and I really love to see all the photos floating around the internet of babies and kids in cute costumes.  However a few weeks into October I was feeling less than creative in regards to a costume for Cal.  I told Gregg I didn't want to spend anything on a costume (or on parts to make one) and I didn't have any cute or clever ideas anyway.  I just wanted a costume to land in my lap.


Then one day I was chatting with my sister Heather and she threw out a few ideas that sparked the one I ended up choosing: a candy corn!  (I hope you can tell what it is from the photos without that spoiler.) Thanks to some inspiration from pinterest, and more than enough patience and good ideas from Gregg, I'm feeling pretty accomplished with this one, my first homemade costume as a mom.  And I was able to accomplish my goal of zero dollars spent since I happened to have old t-shirt scraps in just the right colors (well sort of - the orange isn't exactly on, but it's close enough).


Gregg's job/idea/contribution was the hat, and unfortunately Callie's feelings about that have ranged from pure dread and screaming to just general dislike.  So, there's only one photo with it on her head (it stayed there for all of 2.3 seconds).  But I think she's pretty cute anyway.  Sweet enough to eat!


(P.S. Have I mentioned that it's hard to photograph a 16 1/2 month old explorer?  Well, it is, as evidenced by these photos!)

Doing a great job of "watering" the
dead tomato plant.




This is when I kept asking her to smile
and she kept this face frozen, even
though I could tell her eyes were trying
not to look at me and let a real smile
slip through.

(It eventually did slip through.)
What a tease!






3 comments:

  1. I think the costume turned out great . . . and even better that you made it using things you already had at home. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tease! And, what a great helper! Watering the (dead) tomato plant :). I sure do like that girl - and the costume turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The grapes were one of my favorites! But of course I wasn't wearing it. You did look mighty cute and it was one of a kind in the neighborhood. Hope it didn't leave lasting trauma��.

    ReplyDelete