Sunday, November 17, 2019

November Hiking

We've been enjoying the high pressure that has kept things dry and fairly warm the first few weeks of November.  It means we've walked or biked to school every day and have snuck out for a few hikes in the morning or mid day.  No more Monday Night Hikes these days since it gets dark while we're eating dinner; soon we'll be hitting the slopes instead for some Monday Night Skiing when the snow comes.  But for now, I'm loving the dry weather and I'll take as much fall hiking as I can get!

2 November 2019: Weber River Trail near I-84
We've heard good things from Gregg's dad about the Weber River along I-84 between Uintah and Riverdale so we decided to check it out one sunny Saturday morning.  We enjoyed our walk along the multipurpose path that parallels the river and the freeway (and a train track!), and while it wasn't exactly quiet, we still had a lovely time.  (And bonus highlight for Sam was the train that rumbled by across the river from us right as we got started!)







8 November 2019: Middlefork Trail
My tyke hikes are more sporadic and spontaneous in the fall, typically just a quick text sent out the afternoon before I plan to hike (so I know the weather should be nice) with minimal details and even fewer folks that actually show up.  But they've been fun, and it's always nice to get outdoors in the sunshine with friends!

All boys showed up on this perfect Friday morning.
Here they're trying to break the ice in the wide spot of the stream
we walked by.

Our usual stopping spot is the big puddle in the middle of the trail.
It's a great place to splash rocks and get muddy/soggy!


Fun group and great turnout for a fall tyke hike!
Megan and Finn, Holly and Leo, Erin and Charlie and Logan,
Maren and Beau and Walt, Kim and Sam.

15 November 2019: Pineview Trail to Overlook at North Arm Trailhead
Sometimes you have a friend or two (or 6!) to hike with on a random Friday morning Tyke Hike.  And sometimes it's only mom.  Sam was not pleased to be hiking with just me and he let me know.  He whined and pouted and cried and yelled and stomped his feet.  But we hiked anyway.  And before we hiked the half mile to the overlook he was cheerful and skipping down the trail.  The magic of nature, I guess?

See?  It's not so bad, right, Sam?
 
Great views and amazing colors from the overlook.





Watch out for the snow!


Pretty "bird berries" we spotted along the
boardwalk (which, funnily enough I had photo-
graphed the same thing on the same trail
on the same day last year!).

I was kneeling on the boardwalk to get a good
shot of the berries and I spotted this pretty moss
on the under-side of the wood.




I thought the grasses were pretty, too - these
are as tall as me along the side of the trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment