Friday, November 29, 2019

The Thankful Turkey Tradition


I love when November hits and the Thankful Turkey comes out!  Every evening we each say something we're thankful for, either specifically from that day or just in general, and we write it on a feather.  Cal and Sam have gotten good at taking turns each night choosing and putting up a feather on the turkey.  By the end of the month, the turkey is fully feathered, looking rather perky, actually.  And our hearts are full of gratitude for all the things we've been blessed with, big and small.


The early stages of our bird - week 1.

Dad:

mashed potatoes
soccer balls
windows
indoor toilets
hohos
snuggles
figma
meatloaf
dates
squeeze bottles
amazon
weekends
clam chowder
walkies
cheese
blankets
grassy knolls (aka "grass hills" which Cal wrote instead)
Range
saturday saturdays
Thanksgiving dinner
lincoln logs
Open Snow
Google Analytics
fires
siphons
snowmen
hamburgers
leftovers
comebacks
smell of Christmas trees

Not intentional, but here we are again at the two
week mark.

Mom:

kitchen helpers
sunshine
dad
Saturdays
20 second hugs
walking to church
our library
friends ("kindred spirits")
being sealed to my family FOREVER
snuggling with my kids
healthy body
audiobooks and podcasts
grandmas and grandpas
pizza
Tabernacker Cracker (what we have started calling the Tabernacle Choir and I have no idea why)
coat
FaceTime
the Burley
leftovers
playing the piano
furnace
sisters
sweats
our house
Valley Market
good night's sleep
the park
when my kids play together nicely
peanut m&ms
double shower heads


Just over three weeks for this pic (I am quite impressed with my
consistent turkey photo taking skills!)

Callie:
football meatloaf
school
corn dogs
soccer games and skiing
beating my dad at monopoly deal
the Friend
my mom
family home evening
grandpas and grandmas
Mrs. Anderson
paper and crayons
nature
doctors
shoes
Minnie
chat books
friends
bed and blankets
candy canes
chrome books
snow gear
my talents
hot apple cider
dad
Christmas lights
Thanksgiving turkey
books
Owl
Monopoly Deal
Christmas trees



And the grand finale on day 29 (though we did
an extra feather for the last day of the month
before we took this pic, then took down the whole
thing so we could set up our Christmas tree in its
spot!).

Sam:

draw fours
candy
cars
boxes
birthday toys
my mom
Teddy
coloring
Thomas (the train)
my dad
toys
new train tracks at grandpa's
my trains
MeMe (his teddy bear's nickname and favorite sound to make)
watching dominoes
chat books
football games
bed
Christmas decorations
flashlights
lincoln logs
turkey
hot chocolate
lego box
Christmas trees
Grandma Elwood
playing Monopoly Deal
Mondays (family home evening)
pizza and a movie
typing


Bonus pics!
I love that my little tradition has started a tradition in other homes, too.  And I love when my friends/family send me pics of their turkeys!  It totally makes my day!

From my friend, Alicia.

And here's Grace's!

And if you want a peek back on all our turkeys from all our years (or maybe that's just me, and that's okay!), just click here: 20182017201620152014.

No comments:

Post a Comment