Wednesday, September 2, 2020

August 2020 Hikes

Another great month of hiking in the books. (And a lot of them were in Red Rock Country, which was extra fun!) Here's what we did in our neck of the woods:

5 August 2020: Maples Trailhead to Beaver Pond
A hike with friends on a beautiful morning! Can't ask for anything better. This one is an easy half-mile walk to a beaver pond, and while we didn't see any beavers (haven't seen any for a few years now, bummer), we were delighted with a bevy of butterflies landing on the puddles along the trail. It was amazing!




The kids hung out here at the pond, splashing rocks and poking sticks in the mud, for a good long while.







We were happy to see the playground at Snowbasin was open, even if face masks are required. Cal and Sam don't care - they were just happy to play!



14 August 2020: North Arm Nature Trail
This was a fun little bike/hike with the kids down to the North Arm Nature Trail on a Friday morning. We even saw hot air balloons on our way!



Teasel blossoms are kind of crazy looking.

Love that late-summer goldenrod!

Even the thistles are looking pretty!

Isn't this a dreamy spot for a destination?!





15 August 2020: North Arm Riverbed to Lake
After walking as far as we could on Friday along the mostly dry streambed from the Nature Trail, we told Gregg we wanted to explore further along the stream, but this time being prepared for a few stream crossings as needed. I wore my chacos and carried the kids (and even Gregg once!) across the spots where we couldn't jump/step on rocks, and we wandered along the winding stream all the way to the reservoir! We headed back, thinking to go up to our fave Pineview Trail at the overlook spot, but we couldn't find a good way up there so we joined the trail at the stick hut instead. Back to the trailhead to complete the loop and then we biked home. Fun Saturday morning adventure!






I love all these bird prints in the mud!


Probably just a big dog print? But I'm always worried that these sorts of tracks are mountain lion's.

Burdock blossom! Isn't it cute? Not so much when it turns brown and sticks to your socks, but right now I'm kind of a fan.

16 August 2020: Hidden Lake
After church at home on Sunday, we decided we wanted to get out on a hike. We packed a lunch and headed up to PowMow to hike Hidden Lake, since we haven't done that one yet this year. We walked down the road, like we have done in the past, but we made a loop out of our return trip by following Doctor's Dozen bike trail up the mountain. That was definitely the more scenic route, but it was also super hot and dusty and the kids were vocal about their discomfort. All in all a good hike, but maybe we'll do it when it's cooler next time!

I have no idea what is going on here.


That's better.

Lunch on the deck of the little shack on the shores of the "lake".

I walked around the pond while the others finished lunch.




The "alligator log" was a highlight.

Peeking into smokey Cache Valley.


Pretty berries along the trail.


I spy the lake!



27 August 2020: Mule Shoe Trail
This was a "recess" hike on our second day of school-at-home. I sent out a text to a couple friends, but they couldn't swing the short-notice hike, so it was just me and the kids. For some reason the dry plants and the breeze and the solitude was really freaking me out - I thought for sure there was a lion or bear in the bushes following us the whole time. We hiked our usual mile round trip and sang all the way back, mostly to help me feel better. When we got back close to the car I noticed a print in the dust. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I feel like I can convince myself it's a cat! Anyway, I don't think I'll be doing that one again without someone else along for the moral support.

At our turn around spot.

Pretty Oregon grape!

Looking like fall!
 


 

Am I paranoid?!

No comments:

Post a Comment