Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Christmas Song-a-Day Countdown {2015 Edition}


One of my favorite little traditions I've created for myself is this daily countdown of Christmas songs.  Nerd alert: I have a whole spreadsheet dedicated to my picks for each year and I've made some fun little challenges for myself, like never repeating the same song by the same artist ever in the six years I've been doing this. Good thing there are a bajillion Christmas songs and renditions to choose from, eh?

I've been slow to get them on the ol' blog, but, as a special favor for my sister Heather (and anyone else who happens to read this and not facebook), I'll do my best to keep this post updated with each day's tune.  It's been kinda fun to look back on my old choices and memories/commentary for each song for the past 6 years, so I'm glad to have them in an accessible place.  And I'm glad to add another twenty five to the list!

December 1st: Let the Christmas season begin!


***
December 2nd: I remember this one came out last year and I thought it was fantastic and fun. Of course, Michael Buble is always a Christmastime favorite of mine. And it's fitting today because Brrrr! It's chilly (said "chiowee" if you're Cal) out there this morning!


***
December 3rd: Here's a fun one from my mom's old Reader's Digest records that just sing Christmas to me. Pretty impressive whistling on this one. ;)


***
December 4th: I've always loved Jingle Bells. And I've always loved the MoTab Choir. Put them together and what do you get? Pure delight!


***
December 5th: I posted this one from my phone so not too much commentary. Basically this is a cool version that I love.



***
December 6th: Silent Night is one of my all-time favorite Christmas hymns. It's so peaceful and calming. I hope you can feel that in this version.



***
December 7th: I think this is technically a Thanksgiving song. And we learned/sang it a lot around Thanksgiving-time. But Callie is still singing it on occasion and her version isn't quite complete with all the words or tune, but it sure is fun to listen to. This version is fun and peppy, too.


***
December 8th: This is a really fun, jazzy rendition. Let it snow! (Instead of rain, like we got last night. Boo.)


***
December 9th: Another one from the ol' Christmas record collection.


***
December 10th: I know Raffi isn't new, but I just discovered him after becoming a mom, and I just discovered his Christmas album this month. There are lots of fun renditions of classics on it, but I especially love his originals, including this one. The chorus is catchy and the whole song is just a beautiful Christmas message. So I hope you enjoy A Child's Gift of Love.


***
December 11th: There are lots of versions of Sleigh Ride. This is one of my faves. So jolly. It sounds like you're right there with them on the snow. Jingle jingle!


***
December 12th: I like Coldplay and I like that they sing a Christmas song.


***
December 13th: Today's pick is one of my all-time faves from the Tabernacle Choir. This is just pure perfection, I tell ya. The best part is when the organ comes in right before the third verse. And things swell with the orchestra until . . . a little syncopation and bam! Yea Lord we greet thee! I love love love it! It gives me chills every time and just fills my soul with joy. This is what Christmas is about!



And as a special bonus, check out another version by this Choir of Angels.  This one is a little faster tempo and has some really nice trumpety fanfare. Good stuff all around.



***
December 14th: I love this simple little tune.


***
December 15th: One of my favorites in a new folksy rendition instead of gospel-choiry. I dig it.



***
December 16th: Always gotta have a little Vince Guaraldi around Christmastime. This is not a hugely popular song of his, I don't think, but it's a fun little ditty.


***
December 17th: This is one we used to "carol" back in those Adams Elementary days. I think Alison might have requested this one a year or so ago? Anyway, this one's for all you Adams Owls out there.


***
December 18th: There are some real gems in the Children's Songbook. I especially enjoy the harmony that appears in the second verse onward. Simple and sweet. Love it.


***
December 19th: Cute little arrangement of this classic.


***
December 20th: Today's song is some old school MoTab.  I love how peaceful this song is.


***
December 21st: We're almost there!  Here's a great little Jingle Bell Rock.


***
December 22nd: Perhaps the best arrangement of this lovely song.  Definitely fills me with joy!


***
December 23rd: Love this one!


***
December 24th: I almost forgot about these guys! Glad I rediscovered their album in my files yesterday.


***
December 25th: Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night! Thanks for playing along with me in my little yearly tradition. I'll be back next year with more (I'm already starting my spreadsheet!)


***

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kim! I like this tradition of yours too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Playlist on YouTube:

    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmabX4B6oCdOejgc0toWIftG9JA_5U3iJ

    ReplyDelete