Sunday, October 22, 2023

Vermont 2023 {Stateside, Jay Walk}

2 October 2023 - A Monday at "home". We did art in school using chalk pastels and oil pastels on various grits of sandpaper. That was pretty fun! Cal finished her pumpkin stitchery she's been working on this month. I fried up the rest of our zucchini on our griddle since we don't have any frying pans in this condo (but we have about 10 sauce pans!) and it actually worked really great and was really delicious and I may never do anything else again!





And then we went outside! I had some hammock time and then Cal and Sam and I walked up to Stateside and enjoyed the woods and the bleachers. When we got back to the condo and they started playing Minecraft, I headed back out on a walk up and down the hills. I ended up searching for my lost disc over at Tramside for a good long time. (I give up. It is lost forever!) And then wandered over to Ullr's Pond to get some pics of the peak leaves in peak light. I bought some salsa at Provisions for dinner and then walked back up and down and up the trails and roads to get back home. Over 17,000 steps and a book and conference talks and podcasts listened to. Much needed outside time for me!



Oh! What a day to walk to Stateside!




And back down the hill we go.

Can you blame me for wanting to be out here again?
I just couldn't get enough!




And here we are at Tramside via trails.
Such a lovely walk.

Plenty of crazy mushrooms in the woods
where I was searching for my disc. This
was the last look. I gave up. That disc is forever
a part of Jay Peak now.

Can you believe that color?!


While I was hunting around in the weeds and brush, I was listening to this. I’ve been following George Saunders on his Substack for a while now, but I haven’t really read any of his books (except a graduation speech turned book that was really quick (and really good)). This one was also really quick. And really good. But definitely on the weird side. And also really thought provoking. Think of it like a fable: it’s a simple, fictional story that is a lot deeper than it seems on the surface. It’s marketed as a kids’ book, but I listened to it myself and I think more adults could really use its message, plus it was really funny and he reads it with such funny voices.

Ullr's Pond. I mean, really! This is marvelous!


Sheer perfection.



YESSS!!!




The billboard sign near where we stayed
the first time. Just takin' a walk down
memory lane a bit.

And here's our street this year.

Gregg went out to the disc golf course after me
and snapped some more pics of the beautiful
place.

This sign meant we were almost home!
I don't know exactly why he went out
after dark but I'm glad he did because this is
a fun shot with lots of memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment