Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Adventuring {July's Monday Night Hikes}

We only got out on a few hikes on Mondays this month due to the July holidays, but a few is better than none, and these ones were pretty great.

This is one of our go-to, close-to-home hikes, and we haven't even been on it yet this season.  Callie loves it, too, for some reason, so it was high time to hit the trail.  This was one of those "It's so hot in our house!  We must get outside! Will it be too hot to hike?  I don't even care" kind of evenings, but luckily this trail was super shady after dinner, and it felt good to not be stuck inside a stuffy, sticky house, but instead be trompin' some dirt.


bonus video!




bonus video!




bonus video!




Any view of Pineview is a fine view to me.

17 July 2017: Green Pond Trail (Snowbasin)
I've been wanting to try this one for a long time, but I didn't know anything about its length or suitability for kids until I saw an article from my mom that said it was, indeed, a kid-friendly hike.  My next hesitation was the mountain bike situation since Snowbasin is a heavily biked area and we've had our own troubles on nearby trails.  But, we went for it, and luckily since we got there at 5:00 on a Monday evening, we mostly beat the bike crowd (at least for the uphill trek).  Highlights: the flock of young wild turkeys that flew into the tree right in front of us, dinner at the pond (and more dirt digging), lots of bridges to walk on at the beginning, and Callie declaring it a great hike and wanting to do it again with our hiking group.


She was in photographer mode and actually
snapped a few non-feet/dirt and in-focus
shots (see below).

I know I have a bazillion shots of this view.
But I'm not gonna stop.  Because it's my fave.


I told her to put her face by the flower that she
liked.  Ha.  #momfail


Destination reached!



Love him.  Even with our weird no-teeth smiles.

Four faces looking AND smiling at the camera?  What is this
sorcery?


The fern section was lovely.


Parking lot views.

Here is Cal's view of the hike:




I'm amazed she got the turkeys in the tree!  I didn't even
try, but there they are - captured from a four-year-old's camera.


Cheese!



This one makes me smile - like mother like daughter much?


It was a dusty trail.

31 July 2017: Bicentennial Trail (North Fork Park, Liberty)
I had read about Mule Shoe Trail in a little local advertiser magazine thing that came in the mail, so we decided to try it out.  When we got to North Fork Park and followed the directions Gregg looked up online, we ended up at the North Fork River Trail parking area instead.  Rather than keep driving around, we hopped out of the car and started hiking.  Eventually we came to the fork for the Bicentennial Trail and we took it up through the trees.  It was lovely and green and quiet - not a biker or hiker in site (at least on that branch).  Monday mountain magic at its finest.



Throwing rocks and dusting plants with dirt.
Naturally.



She was back to the garbage bag on this hike -
it's been a while, but we were able to find some to
pick up, so that was a perk.



So dirty!









ALSO, bonus points to anyone who noticed that Sam is wearing the same outfit on every single hike.  (And I am wearing the same shirt for two of the three weeks pictured here - I can't remember what I was wearing on that last one, and since there is no photographic evidence to suggest otherwise, we can only assume I'm wearing the same shirt then, too.)  Monday uniform?

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post! We watched the videos over and over! It makes us feel a little closer to the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete