Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Quarantining - May 2020 Low Down

On May 1st was the official lessening of restrictions day for Utah, but every way I look at "Level Orange", it still looks a lot like our life under "quarantine" and that's how we're treating it around here.  Still only going out to get groceries (with my mask, by myself) every 2+ weeks (last time I made it three weeks and that was record breaking!), still just hanging out at home as much as possible, still no school or church or play dates at the park (or anywhere), still lots of outside time in our yard or on trails.  Our library is opening this week, but I'm still going to do curbside pickup for as long as they'll let me.  Parts of our families got together over Mother's Day weekend to celebrate and eat, but we still stayed outside and didn't hug and sat at least 6 feet away from each other.  Our dentist reopened and we had cleaning appointments, but we had to wait in the car instead of the waiting room and had our temperature checked and filled out a list of COVID-19 symptom questions before we went in.  It's feeling more normal to do all these distancing/isolating measures, but that doesn't mean it's always easy.  I'm feeling a lot of ups and downs emotionally through this whole deal (last month it was an anxiety attack, this month I cried about Mother's Day looking different than it "should").  It's a roller coaster for sure!  But, like last month, our life really is blessed.  We have way more of those ups than the downs.  And most of the time I honestly do feel grateful, peaceful and happy, even in the midst of a global pandemic.

5.1.20
(just had to document the below $2/gallon price I saw at Maverik
on my way to Winco for our bi-weekly grocery run - it's even lower
now!)

5.1.20
(most of our 2-week supply (minus the freezer
stuff I already put away) - this was the trip
that came three weeks after the last trip I took!
I'm still super impressed with myself for making
it work that long!)

5.1.20
(root hairs on our wheat sprouting experiment)

5.1.20
(mold, too!)

5.1.20
(the egg heads we planted are sprouting!)

5.1.20
(Today's math assignment was science, too!  Cal and Sam
made boats out of tinfoil and then counted how many coins
they could float in the boats before they sunk. Cal took it a step
further and added up how many cents her coins were worth!)

5.2.20
(Gregg and Cal mostly did this one (after I got it out, turned over
all the pieces, and put together the border))

5.2.20
(backyard buds are close to bursting!)

5.2.20
(leaves coming in on the alive side of the nest - and blossoms
at the top!)

5.2.20
(according to my records, these plum blossoms
are a bit later than usual (I've typically seen them
on April 27th, but last year it wasn't till May 8th!))

5.2.20
(I spy some kids in a tree. Kids in a tree, how can
that be?)

5.2.20
(the last tree mess I'm going to tackle in the back
yard - here's my before shot)

5.2.20
(and after - there's still actually a ton of dead
branches and trunks inside, and I really don't love
all the horizontally growing branches, but this is
good enough for me for now.)

5.2.20
(but seriously, what is this?!!)

5.2.20
(why has it taken 5 years for us to try out this fire
place?  It works great!)

5.2.20
(After a temporary test run sleepover in the garage
with the kids on April 30th,
Gregg went to town on our teardrop remodel -
he cut out the shelf that the kids slept on last year,
leaving enough for some storage for us but leg room
for us to turn over in the night)

5.2.20
(and then he installed a bunk bed at the front for
the kids!)

5.2.20
(cozy as can be!)

5.2.20
(time to go camping!!)

5.4.20
(Callie said she wanted to go sketch the tulips
this morning.  So she did!)

5.4.20
(blossoms on blue)

5.4.20
(they've been playing together SO well these past couple of months.
Makes my momma heart burst!)

5.5.20
(Callie decided she also wanted to write her own
chapter book, so I helped her cut out the paper and
staple it together and she got right to work!)

5.5.20
(Sam chose to write his own copy of The Book
With No Pictures.  "I want to read this book" :)

5.5.20
(library love from our recent curbside pickup - these were all
excellent)

5.5.20
(The library closed on March 17th, and all my
St. Paddy's picks hadn't come in by then, so we
got them in May and read them and loved them
anyway)

5.5.20
(Cal really loved this series)

5.8.20
(a little backyard basketball on a glorious evening!)

5.8.20
(it was time to harvest the tulips (because it was
time to mow the lawn they were growing in))

5.8.20
(such a cheery sight!)

5.8.20
(definitely past their prime, but still a lovely
bouquet)

5.8.20
(happiness in a vase)

5.8.20
(a special addition from Sam, my dandelion
sharer)

5.9.20
(Callie calls this our "not totally social distancing"
group shot from a little party we had in Grandpa
and Grandma Blanchard's backyard for Mother's
Day.  We had Lee's Fish and Rice takeout and ice
cream bars and had a great time visiting.  We even
took a walk to see some baby ducks, a muskrat
and a big old turkey)

5.9.20
(our new swimming pool came!  And while it wasn't
super warm, the kids played and splashed and froze
their bods anyway)

5.9.20
("I'm too cold to look at you!")

5.9.20
(sunny smiles)

5.9.20
(my friend Erin shared this with me - she found it on pinterest
during one of her book illustrating inspiration sessions there,
and she said it was me if I were a squirrel.)

5.10.20
(I got my traditional Mother's Day pic with my kiddos - and this
time Gregg brought out the big camera which made it extra nice)

5.10.20
(I'm so glad I get to be their mom!)

5.10.20
(this is what our home church looks like - and yes, Callie is
as angelic as she looks)

5.10.20
(blossoms at my parents' house are looking mighty
fine)

5.10.20
(we spent a few hours out under this flowering
pear tree eating a picnic lunch and visiting
with my parents and Megan.  It even "snowed"
petals on us when the breeze came through.
Why I don't have a picture of the people, I can't
say!  After, we went to see my grandparents
in Hyde Park and visited with them for a while
on their driveway.  I'm glad we can still do some
distanced socializing, especially on a gorgeous
Sunday like this)

5.11.20
(Sam suggested making cheese balls
for grandmas for Mother's Day, and I thought
it was a great idea! I didn't have any walnuts
or pecans like I usually use for the outside,
but I did have a handful of slivered almonds
and craisins and they were so yummy I think I
might do it this way all the time!)

5.11.20
(getting ready for FHE - we made this
assignment sheet once in Relief Society
in Vail and have been using it faithfully
for the past couple of years. Cal and Sam
take turns filling it out and conducting
our meeting each week.)

5.12.20
(Callie says, "I made this out of clay!! in the boarder is a family
and the guy to the right is a junior ranger telling about the duck.")

5.12.20
(we had a sort of social distancing play date with Gracie - we
ate a picnic lunch outside and rode bikes/walked to the lake to dip
feet and then came back to swim in our pool)

5.12.20
(cooper came, too, and was the smiliest guy
(though maybe not at this exact moment)

5.13.20
(my starter is doing great things! I think I'm ready
to try bread!)

5.13.20
(more hammock book time - we all enjoyed this book)

5.13.20
(I did it! 100% naturally leavened sourdough bread
with my own starter! I'm so ridiculously proud
of this I took a selfie with my finished loaf haha)

5.13.20
(it was beautiful and delicious! (It really tastes like sourdough!))

5.13.20
(we had some for dinner with soup that night)

5.13.20
(I just had to document the weird leaf growing up
through the deck)

5.14.20
(it was the most beautiful evening ever!)

5.14.20
(I was playing a round of disc golf with Gregg in the yard after
the kids were in bed, but I kept stopping to snap pics of the sky)

5.14.20
(mystery blossoming bush in the back corner of our
lot - every time I walk by it smells like banana
jolly ranchers, I swear!)

5.14.20
(see what I mean by gorgeous!?)

5.14.20
(still obsessed)

5.14.20

5.15.20
(another one down - I did almost none of this one
except the border and turning all the pieces
over when they first came out of the box!
Makes me want to visit Chicago.)

5.15.20
(we decided to check out the free lunch at Snowcrest.
They gave us an entire pizza!)

5.15.20
(a lovely evening for a walk/bike ride around the loop)

5.15.20
(a beautiful day in the neighborhood!)

5.15.20
(I didn't know we had this crabapple right outside our
bedroom window!)

5.16.20
(a most unique memoir of the author's grandmother
told through her stories and voicemails and conversations.
I flew through this! A nice diversion.)

5.16.20
(mask sewing for the whole family!)

5.16.20
(I figured it would be good to have something
on hand if we ever need one for anyone other than
me)

5.16.20

5.16.20
(matchy matchy boys)

5.17.20
(Bear Lake done and done)

5.18.20
(art pick up day from Mrs. Anderson)

5.18.20
(I found this one the table and had to snap a pic it's so cute)

5.18.20
(A sample of Sam's writing as of late. "I am Speed. I eat loser . . .)

5.18.20
((the other side) . . . cars for breakfast" (Sam's favorite line
from Cars 3.))

5.19.20
(lilac lovlies in our yard)

5.19.20
(putting practice by the disc golf basket is very
fragrant these days!)

5.19.20
(we're working our way through these collections again while we're
in the car and they are still so great and relevant and entertaining
as ever. highly recommended!)

5.20.20
(on a bike ride to the cemetery)

5.20.20
(lovely cloud day!)

5.20.20
(checking out the sheep through the fence)

bonus video!
5.20.20

5.20.20

5.20.20
(today's soudtrack)

5.20.20
(playing a scavenger hunt game with her class on
google meet)

5.20.20
(I really liked this page in I Miss You When I Blink.
Her writing is witty and creative and I really enjoyed
reading her thoughts)

5.20.20
(Amish Harvest bites the dust! and that is the end of
our run of borrowed puzzles! Whatever will we
do with this table now?!)

5.21.20
(record rain for our gauge!)

5.21.20
(here's the cover for the page I posted above.
I liked this memoir told in a collection of essays.
Some of her lines are laugh-out-loud funny and other
parts are so heartfelt and beautiful. Very well written.
But watch out for language - definitely more than I love
or gravitate to normally, but I read the whole book anyway.)

5.21.20
(Fantastic nonfiction picture books!
The top two were repeat reads for us,
but totally worth revisiting. The bottom two
were new to us. Cal is into all things
 Jane Goodall and the George Washington Carver
 is a brand new book this year that was excellent!)

5.21.20
(We got on a Tomie hold-making spree. Sure do love his stuff.
Most of these were new to us. He has so many gems!)

5.21.20
(And rounding out our faves from the latest library haul:
the fiction loves. Lots of variety and all awesome in their own ways.)

5.22.20(I didn’t know he wrote novels, and I didn’t meant to put this
one on hold, but once I started reading it, I couldn’t stop!)

5.22.20
(last day of 1st grade gift for her teacher)

5.22.20
(and a cute card)

5.22.20
(when Mrs. Anderson opened this, she said, "there's your essay!"
then she told her new 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. Bruggink, "Callie
doesn't write sentences, she writes essays!")

5.22.20

5.22.20
(riding bikes on the last day of school to pick up
her letter telling who her new teacher will be
next year and to deliver the present she made for
Mrs. Anderson)

5.22.20
(we didn't really even wear the mask, but I had
to document the covid school look)

5.22.20
(off we go!)

5.22.20
(pit stop at the white lilac bush for a photo op)

5.22.20

5.22.20
(end of school celebration lunch from pat's and walkie talkies as
a welcome to summer gift)

5.23.20
(I thought I was done with this tree a few weeks ago
but then I got a wild hair and started sawing out
more branches. here's the completed version.
for now.)

5.24.20
(Sunday baking project was Chocolate Swirled Banana Bread -
holy moly yum!)

5.26.20
(bought myself a kitchen scale for the sole purpose of optimal
sourdough - here's its maiden voyage)

5.26.20
(they were so red-faced and hot after playing
basketball behind the school I had to let
them cool off in the ditch across the street)

5.26.20
(we love this spot)

5.26.20

5.26.20
(they ventured up and down the block and found
this truck with visible roots)

5.26.20
(and to the other end where the "waterfall" is)

5.26.20
(our neighbor Janay was putting her garbage can on the curb
while we were playing and said her grandkids love this spot, too.
She calls it the Secret Garden and it really is!)

5.26.20

5.26.20
(sunset sublime)

5.26.20

5.26.20
(did a full recipe (two loaves) this time!)

5.27.20
(Sam asked me to make him a paper airplane "like Erin makes"
and when I said I couldn't remember how to fold one like her he
drew me these instructions. "It needs two points like this!")

5.27.20
(we planted a garden in our back yard today!
I made (it was surprisingly a struggle for some
reason, normally she likes this kind of thing)
Callie draw us a map so we could remember
what was planted where)

5.27.20
(our park evenings are very rare these days (this was the first
time we have stopped at the park in months, normally
we just walk by) but this one was especially lovely)

5.27.20
(date night with my dishy burning sticks in the
fireplace in the backyard)

5.28.20
(there's the garden - time to water!)

5.28.20
(a lovely day for a walk to the lake)

5.28.20
(I spy a pelican!)

5.28.20

5.28.20
(we were lucky to snag a spot on the always crowded and very
small beach)

5.28.20
(they played here for a couple hours!)

5.28.20
(I had to wander into this tree to get a break
from the sun every once in a while - it was toasty!
and I even got my first "sunburn" of the season on
one side of my leg)

5.28.20
(heading home I had to look back and snap this with the lilacs
and the woad and the trees and the sky and the snow-capped
mountains and the dirt - so many colors!)

5.28.20
(first poppy!)

5.28.20
(a new addition to this freshly painted barn across from the park)

5.28.20
(manicures in the shade)

5.28.20
(and pedis too)

5.29.20
(this was beautiful and informative! and excellent
combo!)

5.29.20
(Cal was helping to unload some cans from my
 grocery run and dropped one on her foot. YOWCH!)

5.30.20
(a plethora of seeds - they just keep coming like snow (and we
get rid of them by shoveling them off the deck every. single. day)

5.30.20
(Sam made this double loop track all by himself!)

5.30.20
(Callie saw this listed in the June Friend Magazine
so we put it on hold and it is awesome! So many fun
ideas using things from around the house and clear
instructions and pictures. I feel like the author and I
could be friends after reading her bio at the end.)



5.30.20
(Cal is at it again with her playdoh diaramas - this one is a scene
of national parks with a geyser, an arch and a car driving to see it
all) 

5.30.20
(Sam made a skier in the trees)


Other Quarantine Low Downs:
March, April

Every other round up here (whew!):
2020: Mar | Feb | Jan
2019: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sep | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2018: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2017: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2016: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2015: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2014: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar Feb | Jan
2013: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June

2 comments:

  1. This was one of your best posts EVER! so fun to see all of the great things you guys are doing! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the play-doh diaramas. The sourdough loaves look delish - I tried that recipe this week and we (T and I, Grace has become rather picky) loved it. Did you like doing it in a regular pan?
    It's like another world in the ditch there, and all you have to do is cross the street! So magical!

    ReplyDelete