Friday, May 14, 2021

Photos from Phones - April 2021 Round Up

Here ware, nearly halfway through May and I'm finally getting caught up on all the happenings of April. Whew! Sorry for the delay!

4.1.21
(April Fool's ice cream cones - yes, they're pink, but
no, they don't taste like strawberry (which is what
the kids were hoping for).)

4.1.21

August 1991?
(Cal had been looking at my scrapbooks
recently, so when Ky sent a pic of Zoe in
a similar jumper, I grabbed my book to find
my "matchy matchy" outfit to compare.)

4.1.21
(here's Zo's 2021 version)

4.2.21
(warm enough for a hammock afternoon!)

4.4.21
(This was a perfectly delightful little story about a dad and a son (named Samuel!) trying to make trades so they can get the mom a “brown-eyed milk cow” to give milk to baby sister Ella. Short and certainly sweet!)

4.5.21
(Spring! Green, worms, puddles, rain (πŸ€žπŸΌπŸ€žπŸΌπŸ™πŸΌπŸ™πŸΌ)!)

4.5.21
(Some super picture book biographies we enjoyed this week.)


bonus videos!

4.5.21
(Cal's a pro on all shapes and sizes of monkey bars these days,
but Sam is just getting started)


4.5.21
(a visit to the "library park" after our visit to
the library)

4.5.21
(but after a few minutes of playing, they
asked to get their new books out of the car
to read on the bench in the shade)

4.5.21

4.5.21
(bookworms - not gonna lie, I'm
thrilled about this!)

4.5.21

4.5.21
(got home with a full-to-overflowing
book stack. again!)

4.6.21
(morning heat vent humorous poetry reading)

4.6.21
(um, yeah, I have some laundry to fold)

4.6.21
(flower model for science)

4.7.21
(This is the second Newbery Honor book this year by this author (she’s the one who wrote the book about the cave rescue that I loved). This is a totally different genre, a twist on Les Miserables set in a Thai-inspired fantasy world. I liked trying to figure out the connections to Les Mis (i.e. a monk helps the main character instead of a priest) and also learn a bit more about Thai foods, culture, etc. Different from my usual picks, but I enjoyed it!)

4.7.21
(checkin' out the birdhouse trail at the Ogden Nature Center
on our way to drop off Callie's entry in the Earth Day Poster Contest)

4.7.21
(I may be getting ideas for a real cabin
 from this one! Haha)

4.7.21
(Cal liked this one and thought Sam would
dig it too)

bonus videos!

4.8.21, 4.9.21
(one of Cal's assignments in Writing Skills was to write a book
report and then present it)


4.8.21
(a peek at Sam's writing. He came up with
this all on his own one morning, only asking
for spelling help on "favorite" and "station": 
"Me Favorite Thing
One time I had $11 and I spent them on a Hot
Wheels City gas station")

4.8.21
(Finished reading this one to the kids this afternoon. We all loved it. It was our family book club novel for read aloud revival this season and it definitely has some home school vibes (even though it’s a one-room schoolhouse), plus it was fun to learn about Alaska in the 40s. A quick but delightful read.)

4.9.21
(Made an impromptu trip to the library today to pick up a few holds and print something off, so took back a small bagful that we’ve read since Monday’s trip. These were the highlights.)

4.12.21
(Callie was on a roll entering contests this month - she had the poster
for the Ogden Nature Center, then wrote this story for a PBS Kids
Young Writers and Illustrators contest. Since her choice for "Celebrate
the Outdoors" was our garden last year, I realized that her story could
also fit the Kids Gardening "Why I Love My Garden" contest happening
at the same time, so this one was a two-for entry. Here's a pdf version
in case you want a bigger image to read)

4.12.21
(Another Monday library trip (it’s our habitual day to visit) even though I came on Friday.
These went back and we got quadruple more to come home.)

4.12.21
(We “met” Kyo Maclear as part of a read aloud revival author access for It Began With a Page about Gyo Fujikawa (seen in a previous photo here) and then went on a spree of her other books that we haven’t read (or haven’t read for a while). She’s got such a way with words. We are fans.)

4.12.21
(It’s National Poetry Month and I got a bit carried away in the poetry section of the library today. Callie is really into poetry lately, so I’m especially excited to share Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices with her (and knock another title off my Newbery medal winners goal at the same time)!)
4.13.21
(The first edition of Cal's Camp: A Newspaper
of Things You Might Want to Know, Callie's
latest project.)

4.14.21
(snow what?!)

4.14.21
(not the most ideal driving conditions, but we're headed
to get our second covid shot, so off we go!)

4.14.21
(lookin' better once we got to Ogden)

4.14.21
(but good grief! this is what we came home to!)

4.14.21
(YAY SCIENCE!)

4.14.21
(I just finished this in record time... I absolutely loved it! I knew nothing about it other than my SIL Lea recommended it back in December I think. I put it on hold but didn’t get it until last week. I started reading it last night and couldn’t put it down (but I did) and finished it today. It’s got so much going on in such a clever, really well-done way. It touches on things like depression, suicide, philosophy, quantum physics, environmentalism, social media, parenthood, siblings, librarians, kindness, dreams, regrets, love, loss, life! It made me think and it made me cry and and it made me so happy. Read it! And then let’s chat! πŸ’—)

4.15.21
(I've probably shared a pic of this one before, but
I read it again and I loved it again and I'm sharing it
again, prompted by the recent death of amazing Beverly
Cleary)

4.15.21
(Another fun one for National Poetry Month! A blogger I follow recommended it, and read aloud revival had a class from her about nonet poetry (which we haven’t watched yet, but I hope to soon) so her name was top of mind this month and I decided to check her out. My library didn’t have this one but it was on libby, so I read it on my kindle app on my phone. It is so dang clever! She starts with a big poem, her “nest”, then finds “nestlings” or little poems inside the main poem. And there are tons of them about any subject you can think of! She explains her rules (the words in the nestlings have to stay in the order they appeared in the nest, she wanted to use every word of her nest at least once in her nestlings, etc) and at the end gives tips on how to make your own. I really loved it! And I am almost convinced to give it a try. ;))

4.17.21
(I’ve never really done this for a trip before, but I was excited to search for all kinds of books (children’s fiction and non, adult travel guides and memoir, plus a DVD) related to our upcoming road trip. Can you guess where we’re headed in a couple weeks?)

4.17.21
(some of these are the pictured previously, but I added to our
stack of poetry and wanted to snap another pic - so many
fun options we're loving all month!)

4.19.21
(Sam wanted me to take a pic of him with this lego creation.
So I did.)

4.20.21
(he's mastered the art of climbing fences -
this one at the dugout at the park)

4.21.21
(we wanted to check out the tulips at the temple again.
It was the coldest, windiest day EVER to be doing such
a thing, but we had fun anyway!)

4.21.21
(I spy Moroni!)

4.21.21
(do you see that flag sticking straight out?!
strong winds!)

4.21.21

4.21.21

4.21.21
(I don't know if these fritillaria tipped over
because of the wind or because of some
other defect, but they were all lying flat
in every flower bed)

4.21.21
(solo shot with Moroni peeking through the
blossoms)

4.24.21
(why oh why is our german pancake so flat?!)

4.24.21
(Big news! Cal's Earth Day Poster for the Ogden
Nature Center won 2nd place for 2nd grade. She
got to participate in a zoom awards program
with the other winners and picked up a prize bag
at the center (filled with goodies like a certificate, stickers,
hacky sack, birdhouse kit, and $10 gift certificate to the 
gift shop!) and see her art on display. I'm so proud of her
for this - she read about it in the newspaper, did all the 
designing and drawing and coloring herself, and then
was so thrilled to win a prize. They said there were about
600 total entrants for grades K-6, so I think it's pretty awesome
to be a winner!)

4.24.21
(The theme was "The Earth Needs Trees"
and she drew lots of reasons why trees
are important and useful to us.)

4.24.21
(woo-hoo!)

4.26.21
(it's always so quiet at our house after
we get home from the library!)

4.26.21

4.27.21
(Sassy sunset to the east)

4.27.21
(and also pretty moody toward the northwest)

4.28.21
(Just finished this mega book (biggest one I’ve read for a while, but luckily a good chunk at the end is notes so it was *only* 485 pages instead of 500+!) and really enjoyed it. Of course, biotechnology and lab stories and scientist biographies are my jam, but I think this was written in a way anyone who is curious about CRISPR and biotech (and maybe not surprisingly, but I wasn’t expecting it at first, COVID-19) could enjoy and understand it too. I already liked Jennifer Doudna before reading this book about her, but I like her even more. She is amazing! I also loved learning about dozens more scientists who played a role all the way from James Watson (it was fun to relate to Doudna and Isaacson’s experiences reading The Double Helix, given to them by their dads when they were young, to my own, when I was in college, loaned to me by my Grandpa Thornley) to graduate students in various labs. Yay science!)

4.28.21
(Gregg built a second disc golf basket
out of this old barrel-like tube of plastic
that had been left behind after our septic
tank replacement a couple years ago.
we've been using it as is as a "basket" but
today Gregg put his handyman and creative
skills to work to concoct a pole and net
to fit inside with things we had lying around
in the garage.)

4.28.21
(isn't he the coolest/dishiest guy around?!)

4.29.21
(cousin day in Heber! We came to play
and give Heather a chance to rest if she
needed it since she got her 2nd dose the day
before - quesadillas by the slice on the deck
for lunch was just the ticket!)

4.29.21
(and we had fun riding Grace to school and back home
that afternoon, too.)

4.29.21
(I'm partway through listening to Their
Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale
Hurston, and when I saw there was a picture
book biography about her, I knew I had to
check it out!)

4.29.21
(Some faves from this week.)


Every other round up here (whew!):
2021: MarFeb | Jan
2020: Dec | Nov | Sep | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar Quar + Mar | Feb | Jan
2019: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sep | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2018: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2017: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2016: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2015: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2014: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar Feb | Jan
2013: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June


No comments:

Post a Comment