Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Photos from Phones - August 2021 Round Up

Too much "fun" and no time to blog lately, so I'm squeezing in some updates in my unusually early mornings of late. I don't know why I can't get back to sleep when I wake up after someone's bad dream or I hear the neighbors leave for work at dark-thirty a.m. Probably because I have so many to-dos bopping around in my head. But it's worked out and I'm finally getting caught up on our August adventures here three weeks later. (No guarantees on when September highlights will show up, since we're leaving to Vermont tomorrow and I'll have a whole new slew of adventures piling up in my queue. But I'll try to keep chipping away and I hope to be all caught up to date before we get home. Crossing fingers!)

8.1.21
(Good morning, hot air balloon!)

8.1.21
(apricots and blueberries turning into crisp - aren't they beatuiful?!)

8.1.21
(epic lightning storm happening tonight! unfortunately
no rain involved, though!)

8.2.21
(the stack from last week keeps growing
and I still haven't started any of them yet! Ack!)

8.3.21
(our yw class had an activity swimming in
one of our girls' backyard pool!)

8.3.21
(They had a blast!)

8.3.21

8.3.21
(I loved this page from When Stars are Scattered)

8.4.21
(I’ve been in a bit of a reading slump this past week so I decided I needed something I could finish quickly to get me back in a good groove. Graphic novel for the win! And this one is especially good ... it’s a memoir of a boy who grew up in a Somali refugee camp in Kenya, and how he took care of his little brother who has some disabilities, and their search for their mom and going to school and trying to get to America. Really well done, breaks your heart and fills you with hope at the same time.)

8.5.21
(book it pizza and swim day! yes!)

8.5.21

8.6.21
(face time with Grace time!)

8.7.21
(in a word: gross! (and way too common a sight this
summer around here))

8.7.21
(a random park-hopping through Ogden evening brought us
to the 4th Street Park dirt hills for some jumping photo ops)

8.7.21

8.7.21

8.7.21

8.7.21

8.7.21

8.9.21
(Usually I share books I get from the library, but one of my favorite things is to check out the book section at DI and stock up on some really great books for really great deals! If I see anything by Beverly Cleary, I snatch it up, either for my bookshelf or, if it’s in new condition, to give as birthday gifts to kids in my life. :) We have listened to all the Henry books on audio multiple times, but this summer RAR choose this one for the family book club novel, and since we had it on the shelf, I read it aloud to the kids. Sam was especially into it and we all enjoyed the story (again)!)

8.9.21
(A few mostly silly books that went back to the library today.)

8.10.21
(here I am attempting to figure out why I've been coughing so much this summer.
spoiler alert: we think it's asthma-related and are treating it as such, but the whole
appointment (chest x-ray, spirometer, nebulizer, spirometer again) was kind of a bust
when the spirometer didn't actually work so we couldn't get a baseline to see if the albuterol
treatment even worked) so the doc just sent me home with a prescription for pills and an inhaler
and good luck basically. kind of a let down. but a month an a half later, the pills seem
to be helping so I guess it wasn't a total bust.)

8.11.21
(as we were hiking this morning, I told Cal about an old notebook I had
got in high school from the LEAF (Logan Environmental Action Force) club during "earth week"
that was made from scratch paper and a file folder and twine. She wanted to make one for her
nature journal for school, so I found it when we got home. Who keeps a recycled notebook
for nearly 20 years?!?!?! This psycho, that's who! (I took the pic to show my friend who was
in the LEAF club back then, and I also sent it to Heather, and neither of them remembered 
anything about the books, so I guess I really am a psycho.))

8.11.21
(Ta-da! They're ready for our nature journaling days!)

8.11.21
(what this pic is trying to show, but is very hard to 
see is a flock of turkeys who have taken up residence in our yard)

8.11.21
(also a photo of turkeys (just use your imagination). if I remember right
there were over a dozen wandering around out there for a couple
days, roosting in our trees and on our roof . . . until one morning
Gregg found a head and esophagus of a bird on the ground by the disc golf
basket and no other turkeys in sight. we think maybe an owl got one in the night
and they moved on. yikes! grizzly circle of life action in our own backyard!)

8.12.21
(We have loved watching the Olympics the past couple of weeks, and we also loved learning about Japan and the history of the Olympics during storytime, too. (Not pictured: a couple Magic Treehouse books Cal read and returned before I could snap a pic - they often have a nonfiction companion to the novel, which is really great, and a new bio of Simone Biles which she loved!))

8.12.21
(eye appointment for this girl went well (her prescription has changed a lot, and now
she'll be wearing glasses all the time, not just for tv (distances) - she wanted a purple
pair of glasses, and this was one of the finalists)

8.12.21
(but this is the style she chose - I think they look great!)

8.13.21
(they told us it would take a couple of weeks for the glasses to come in, but then I got
a call the next day that they were ready! we happened to be on that side of the mountain
anyway, so we stopped in to pick them up on our way home. Yay!)

8.14.21
(Absolutely loved this one! A memoir of a man’s summers as a fire lookout in the Gila mountains in New Mexico. I loved his writing style and personal stories of his solitary months on the mountain, and I learned so much from the history he wove in about land preservation and changing views on fires in wilderness. So good! (And now Gregg has a new dream job!))

8.23.21
(This week’s returns. Just a few but all really great in their own way. :))

8.23.21
(new tricks for this girl at the park!)

bonus video!

8.23.21
(I convinced her to let me help her try this, and two minutes later
she couldn't stop flipping around - I loved doing the same thing
when I was about her age!)

8.26.21
(I had a bagful of pears from my friend Erin's tree and they weren't
getting eaten as is, so I made pear sauce and it was delicious!)

8.27.21
(lovin' the sunflowers on my walk around the loop)

8.27.21

8.27.21
(smoky summer sunrise)

8.27.21

8.27.21

8.27.21
(painting some spiral galaxies with chalk pastels to go along
with our reading of Jason Chin's Your Place in the Universe for
family book club this month - so messy and so fun!)

8.27.21
(processed a day after I made it because I didn't have any lids
and had to meet my mom in Brigham to get some from her - but it
turned out beautifully!)

8.28.21
(a picnic at the church park with dad while I was hiking Timp.
when I got home, they told me about their lunch "that didn't have
any vegetables!" haha)

8.30.21
(This was super fun! And super huge!)

8.30.21
(See what I mean? Lots of pages have flaps that open up to reveal truly life-size glimpses of some awesome animals. Plus a sidebar with facts and guidance on what to notice. We loved it!)

8.31.21
(One thing I super love about Sam’s math curriculum is the enrichment lesson at the end of each week where we get to read a math-related picture book. Here are a few I snagged from the library (or discoverbooks.com for super cheap) to see us through the next handful of weeks. Let me know if you want the whole list!)

8.31.21
(This is what Cal has been picking out, reading, and actually coding from the last couple weeks. Good thing she has a coder dad who can help her out!)



 Every other round up here (whew!):
2021: JulyJune | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2020: Dec | Nov | Sep | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar Quar + Mar | Feb | Jan
2019: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sep | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2018: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2017: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2016: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2015: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar | Feb | Jan
2014: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June | May | Apr | Mar Feb | Jan
2013: Dec | Nov | Oct | Sept | Aug | July | June

No comments:

Post a Comment